During the early part of the 20th century, McHenry was a booming tourist destination. People from Chicago and the surrounding areas would flock to McHenry to enjoy Pistakee Lake and Bay, the Fox River and other relaxing attractions. Realizing the economic opportunity, McHenry welcomed the tourists having already established resorts and hotels in the… Continue reading The McHenry Coliseum?
This picture was taken of a part local landmark in McHenry. Which Landmark Is It Part Of? Check Back In A Week To Find Out!
The first “formal” bridge in McHenry that spanned the Fox River was located at Pearl Street, just east of Riverside Drive (known as Water Street in the 1880s). Bridges or ferries had been at this location before McHenry was even settled in the 1830s. In the fall of 1880, it became clear to the residents… Continue reading The Building of the Iron Pearl Street Bridge
During the 1920's dancing was very popular, especially with resort communities, which McHenry was making a name for itself at that time. Picking up on this business opportunity, Clarence Neisen build the Fox Pavilion, or the Fox, here in McHenry in May 1922. It was described as being roughly 1/2 mile northeast of where the… Continue reading The Fox Pavilion
During its history, McHenry has been home to several different churches. One of the most recognizable has been St. Mary's Catholic Church. Its started with many of the German settlers in the area who wished to go to church services spoken in their native language. At the time, they had to go up to St. Johns… Continue reading The Early Years of St. Mary’s